Thursday 25 September 2014

No sex please... we're Steampunks!

I got drawn into a discussion on Facebook the other day about the place of sex in steampunk.


As can be seen, it was a popular discussion that is currently discussing the merits of different types of cake!
Steampunks, it would seem, are nothing if not distractable. But for quite some time, the conversation stayed on topic, before wandering on and off it..

Sex pops up in all aspects of life - why not steampunk? Personally, I don't see that there's a problem. Steampunk is fun and so is sex. That, the way of the world, and Rule #34 say that sex is always going to pop up in steampunk, particularly where many gents are going for the dapper look (or even the rugged engineer look), and many women are donning corsets, specifically designed to emphasise traditionally sexy physical attributes.

I can understand wanting to go to an event or gathering where it wasn't overtly sexual and plenty of family-friendly, non-sexualised events and steampunk related things do occur.

But if people want to go more back-alley with their steampunk and explore the back-room bar, sky pirate, kinky victoriana and burlesque aspect of it, I don't see why not! As long as it's appropriately advertised and billed as such so that people don't end up somewhere, or taking their children to something they'd rather they didn't see. This can all be incorporated into the fun and eccentric world of steampunk. I'd hate to think that steampunk was such heavily regulated fun that there was no room for sex in it.

Sex is something I've yet to explore in any of my drawings or designs but I'd sure like to at some point in the future. 
(Check out www.facebook.com/CurtisAllenIllustrator to see what I do get up to...)

I like fancy dress. I don't think it has to be sexualised. It can be fun when it is. Kids can get involved in fancy dress, but I wouldn't take them to a 'whores and vicars' party.
Same goes here.

What are anyone else's thought on this?

-Curt-

Follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CurtisAllenIllustrator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!